Monday, January 14, 2008

Toast to Tassie


Tasmania Adventure Part 1
I’ve been in Tassie for about 6 hours. I sat in a window seat coming over Bass Strait and then I think that we flew over Devonport nad over the eastern coast. The one thing that knocked me out was the amazing amount of water. We passed over this landscape that looked like the moon except wet.. lakes and rivers everywhere. No one that I have talked to yet knows what this is called, but there seemed to be roads leading into it.
So to the first Tassie meal.
A classic room service meal, because I had to watch the Elizabeth David drama on the ABC. A steak, veggies and bread. It was good enough to make me ring up the room service people and say thankyou.
Hobart seems to be very spread out. I checked in to the hotel and then went looking for the nearest super market to buy water. Call me strange, but I don’t normally drink water out of taps in strange towns. Well, I have to report, there was v. little water on the shelves. 500mls or 20L were the choice and not much shelf space at all. After about the third lap of the water aisle I noticed a guy picking up a couple of 20L containers. I asked him about what the water was like in Hobart. He said that it was great, but he was going bush, so needed water. The water is good to drink in Hobart. Wow! Not a bad start!
Woolworths in Hobart tries to sell white peaches and nectarines as best when crisp and crunchy, just as it does on the mainland. Supermarket Terrorist had to be restrained.

To tell you the truth …sometimes I do find it hard to travel by myself. I hate not knowing how to turn off the hazard lights and not being able to look at the view because I don’t know where I am. But I’m still glad to be here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you for travelling to Tassie single .How nice it must`ve been to turn on the tap and drink water instead of having to buy it ,what a luxury in itself.So nice to here of the places you visited ,definately on my wish list.

beachsands said...

Thanks Anon.....Gazing into my cystal ball you are a blonde super mum and an all round great person!!!