Saturday, January 26, 2008

crabbysands




Feeling Crabby
I don’t like the last day of the holidays and today was the day. I also had Stuff to do eg registering the car. Hardly much to look forward to…. I was in a crabby mood.
I took a slight detour to Bird’s Bay Oyster Farm / catch a crab tours. They have made it into the Jetstar mag, but the owners haven’t read it yet. Follow the map on the website. http://www.catchacrab.com.au/ and you will find at the end of a very lovely lane, a clean, pretty functional shop and food area. I was late…so unusual… and saw that they closed earlier, but it was QLD time. There was no-one there, but good clear signposting led me to the restaurant area.

They are just starting out from a popular tourist thing and an exciting, but little known oyster farm with a lease sale door (not sure what the equivalent to cellar door is..) I was yet again dining with my book (Mungo this week) Usually if I see totally empty tables I leave, but the cook was so sweet, I couldn’t. The oysters were good, but after Tassie…. I ordered a mixture. Found out later they were from Port Stephens. The spawning thing again. Nonetheless they were still just fine. I also order a crab soup. It was excellent! A delicate broth and lots of crab served with enough weapons to make the extraction of the meat do-able. Personally I would have loved much more chilli and Thai flavours, but that it is me. The flavour and texture of the crab was fresh and fabulous. It was simple and good.

Had a chat with them after the meal. They want to start slow, are very interested in promoting the region and its produce. Take a drive and have a lovely lunch. It is a very short drive from Tweed/ Coolangatta and the much lauded Tweed Coast. If they are closed, there are some good fish and chip shops on the way along Kennedy Drive (or follow the signs to Seagull’s pokie palace but don’t eat there)

I love people who are having a go!
For the jetstar article read hear and pay attention to Mavis. http://jetstarmag.com/2008/01/01/flydrive-8/

No comments: