Saturday, January 26, 2008

Divinge




The divine binge at divinge.
A joint next to a service station in a little country town. A service station, where they actually pump the gas for you. We hadn’t booked, but were welcomed anyway. It was only midday, but it was busy.
I was enchanted from the first moment. Loved the décor and simple elegance of the room.. I wouldn’t have minded anything from the menu. Shirley and I decided to share, but Peter provided us with lovely shared plates. I’m a potato lover. After convincing Shirley that you could eat Nicholas sans butter or cream, Peter sang the praises of them as great carriers of the just that.
So we had a beautiful roasted mushroom on top of this lush mash and a chicken roulade with risotto of heavenly tastes. This is seriously fine food. Good honest flavour served with humour and intelligence.
As a people watcher from way back, I liked watching the reasonably rowdy table next to us. Locals having a great time. I turned around and chatted to an older guy just having coffee by himself. Turns out he was from my home town… normally ate with friends on a Friday, but still decided to have coffee by himself. He didn’t know my mum …probably a good thing… he was an ex-cop. What I loved was his enthusiasm for his local. Danie and Peter (if I have the names wrong forgive me) are passionate about providing a great, affordable place for locals not just a foodie tourist destination.
This is a very special place. I think that their prices are a little too cheap…I’ve never said that before. It is honest, friendly and the kind of place that if you lived there, you would eat often and well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beachsands,
Glad you loved Divinge. We went there on the recommendation of the lovely Rita, in the New Year. Just bloody lovely isn't it. I've enjoyed reading your comments on Rita's blog so thought I'd check yours out. Love the photos. Heard you had a great night at Marque IV too. So looking forward to the dinner Rita has organised for the 20th.

beachsands said...

The lord give thanks!!! Thanks Christina for being the first person to comment on my blog. You have won a a meal of your choice the next time I'm in Tassie or if you visit the lovely, but sodden FNC (v.close to the gold Coast) I have just driven through one of the worst storms that you should never drive through. Skated through water more than once and drove through water more than once close to home. It is still storming, but I have pulled the power cord from the puter and since I have a wireless connection at home figure it is safe to use for doing important things like checking the weather. A real bonus to check the blog and finally see that someone has posted!!
I keep my promises, so the meal is yours when i get back to tassie... probably within the year. Thanks again.
sands