Thursday, January 31, 2008

Soup Opera


I am a soup lover from way back. Soup is nurturing, easy to make and only takes one pot. Chicken soup is a known panacea for all ailments. When I really feel like, I just need nurturing and nourishment, I like soup. I have a deep abiding love for canned tomato soup – has – to be Heinz or better (Rosella – still found on the bottom of the supermarket shelves. It has to be made with half milk and half water and served with white bread toast) It is rarely found on my pantry shelves, but a quick fix can be a tin of tomatoes with a bit of fresh garlic and basil, Campbell’s chicken consommé, simmered and blitzed with a little cream or Carnation lite.
I like soup in tins, packets or homemade. I love to make chicken pho from a free range chicken on a rainy day. Laksa is my meal of choice in any half way decent food hall. Duck noodle soup is another favourite. I also like to cook them at home.

Tonight is a hot muggy evening when a gazpacho would be my first choice. Yep I’m a soup fiend, but don’t have the ingredients.

The soup slowly simmering is a version of chicken and sweetcorn soup. Campbells consommé again with a few aromatics, fresh sweetcorn, a couple of Shanghai dumplings, left over free range roast chook, a handful of fresh noodles and lots of sprouts and herbs, fresh chilli.

It is nearly done. I shall put it in a bowl and add more herbs. Sir T left me with lots of lovely laksa herb/ rau ram/ Vietnamese mint. I have a weird chilli, dried shrimp and fried garlic thing that is pretty good. It won’t be pretty, but it will be good.

No bean sprouts…. They looked a bit manky, but I have good fresh local beans. A squeeze of lime, a bit of fish sauce and I’m eating.

No comments: