Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mavis's Kitchen


Everyone should have a kitchen like Mavis.
I confess! I went to Mavis’s Kitchen somewhat reluctantly. On Friday nights I don’t like to travel too far from home, but it was an invitation that I dare not have refused. The website directions were clear even for the terminally direction challenged and whereis.com.au promised that it would take just 32 minutes from Kingscliff.

I’m not sure what I was expecting…. Let’s just say my expectations were not high.

I was completely blown away by the sheer beauty of the beautifully restored Queenslander set in an amazing garden, nestled under the majestic Mt Warning. The restoration has been done with love, intelligence and elegance. This restaurant really is one of the most lovely that I have had the opportunity to dine in.

The menu is simple, but every dish was excellent. The website says that is homestyle cooking using good organic ingredients. The dishes that I tasted were exactly that (everyone’s home should have this style… sigh!) No rubbish menu language; just a brief description of what you could expect to eat. I find this refreshing. I had the pate, which was rich and fresh tasting. I thought that Jen’s bruschetta was worthy of menu envy with its fat white anchovy draped over roast capsicum and maybe goats’ cheese. Ann’s soup served in an enamel mug disappeared quickly. The mains were equally as good. Again no-one shared …… Grrr! My excuse was that I was enjoying mine so much I forgot to offer. The choices included filo baked salmon with a roast capsicum sauce, chermoula dusted chicken with the best couscous ever and a perfectly prepared risotto. The desserts were served after an intelligently offered wait and were all devoured with enthusiasm. The menu will be changed according to what is in the garden.

There is no BYO. You really wouldn’t want to with extremely reasonable prices and interesting wines. Wines are priced at mid $20s and $30s with some fine choices by the glass. Once again it is an intelligent and elegant list. Great non-alcoholic choices plus good water (no charge) continually refilled. There are also organic wine choices. I had a cocktail; Lychee and mint something that I can’t pronounce. I asked for it to be light on alcohol as I was driving. The request was met and the cocktail was great.

The service was excellent. Friendly, knowledgeable and well –timed.

This restaurant is fantastic. The people operating it have got passion and integrity. Oh! I forgot to mention, three courses were $34.50!!! You can also stay there and enjoy the wine list. They have elegant looking cabins and you could even climb Mt Warning in the morning. ……or have breakfast and then lunch and maybe stay for dinner again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad someone has been to that restaurant, as we have driven past through all the stages of it being created to the finished product. On the way to experience the mt warning beauty that myself and my children often indulge in.Nice to hear it is a lovely place to dine.

beachsands said...

Thanks anon.
It is a great place to eat. Organic when possible and I would imagine very kid friendly. As everything is made on the premises I'm sure that they would be able to cater for all sorts of dietary needs.